Thursday, February 07, 2008

TZP

What is common between DDLJ (Dilwale), Black, Rang de Basanti, Kuch Kuch Hota Hain, Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, Mohobatein......??????

Ya, each of them might have been blockbusters and created box office records. But there is something else. I havent seen any of them !..."Ya, man, hes crazy, he hasnt seen DDLJ....Paagal hain."....That would be the first reaction of any normal person. And if you also reacted the same way..Congratulations...You're normal !!! Ha Ha.....

Jokes apart, its quite surprising why I never saw any of these. I think I know the answer. Its that rebellious streak in me not to do something (or watch movies in this case) because everyone said its good. I know its a crazy argument but its true. Probably I never had the courage to say NO to a science and engineering career after 10th, though when I look back today, I would never have done the same. (given a chance I would have taken up journalism and become a leading sports correspondent of a national daily or even cricinfo !!!)

The point is since I followed the mainstream in the areas that affected me the most, I guess I looked for areas where if I behave differently it wont have an impact and movies was one.! And I dont think it was intentional..Something in the subconscious mind...I know Iwas stupid, but I guess this is the only rational reason I could think of as to why I never saw the movies that were declared the biggest hits of the year.

Ok..coming to the point. Taara Zameen Par had all the chances of falling in this 'esteemed list' until I decided to finally watch it...And didn't I make a good decision. First of all any movie showing school seems to strike a chord. Probably for that brief period my mind goes back to those good ol' school days !....But in this case it was more...What immediately struck me was 5th A class and when students used to get a pasting (and it was painful) for making mistakes in Mathematics and at times even their head banged against wall..I never faced the brunt, but yes there were a few of the students who were 'common casualties'. I used to wonder how they could make mistakes in something as simple as addition or the basic concepts. I never understood. Another example was reading out in class. At times we were asked to stand up and read out certain parts of the lesson. Again I found that it was a struggle for some ! There have been instances when we have laughed out loud when someone made silly mistakes....

The movie has made me realize that those mistakes might have been silly for me, but would have been a struggle for someone else. There was no one to tell me these things then. But I hope the kids who have seen the movie now are more sympethatic towards their fellow classmates. Not everything about the 21st century is all that evil. We do make some good and meaningful movies.

1 comment:

Sathya said...

Taare Zameen Pay touched a personal note with me... Imagine a kid in senior KG... gets rapped by the teacher on the knuckles for coloring the leaves brown and the trunk of a tree, green. Confused kid in tears... years later, kid is diagnosed to be suffering from Daltonism a.k.a. Color Blindness... That kid was me!