Saturday, July 18, 2009

Big v/s Small

One of the greatest fascinations of mankind, especially for those belonging to the upper middle class and living in the urban parts of the country is to buy big homes. To move from a 1 BHK to a 3 BHK to a 3BBHK sea facing, to an individual bungalow coupled with a garden to a ranch and so on… In fact if you list down the “most discussed topics @workplace” you would find that the topic of “buying a new house” would rank very high in the pecking order. It would start with the latest properties being developed in the city to the kind of amenities that each one has – swimming pool, parking space, gym…blah blah….And yes the conversation would never end without a reference to how the EMIs are still high and hence we all should get a good salary raise!

This brings me to the question “How big a home do I need” to live comfortably? If I ask this question to married couples in Mumbai and Delhi I am sure that the responses would be highly contrasting. For people born and brought up in Mumbai, a 700 sq feet house is quite a luxury while for Delhities I guess that’s a decent size for their “servant’s room”. Again the point is not to pass any value judgments but just to highlight how a question on minimum space needed would bring forth totally contrasting responses from people living in these two metros.

Till today I haven’t developed any fascination for big homes. I’m still satisfied with something small but comfortable. I somehow like the smaller ones. You tend to use the space much more constructively. I am reminded of my friends house in Matunga – There was a small attic which was converted into a study – very well done actually. The place was quite small – but he had used it so well. School / college books for 2 were easily arranged along with small tables to study. Mom would pass on stuff to eat from below – something to chew on while studying. I have spent quite sometime at his place and still find that small corner in that small house as very comfortable! - The big houses of today still haven’t been able to leave an impression on my mind……

1 comment:

Meghna said...

I completely agree Surya !!! I myself am very find of small and compact homes..rather than the big and flasy ones...and i dont even like the big heavy furniture...for me, bright cushions laid properly on a couch makes the perfect furniture for a living room :)