Sunday, April 12, 2009

Summer Vaccations Time

It is that time of the year. The air is a tad warmer. I can sense that the mercury is definitely up several degrees; the summer is just setting in. I can almost "smell" the season change. At 7 am, as I look out of my window, sipping into a glass of hot kapi, I can see children getting ready to board their school bus. But they are not their normal cheerful self, playing some prank or the other. As they wait for their bus to arrive, I can seen them with a note book in hand, probably revising a "long answer" one last time. Yes, it is the annual exam season. The annual examination has its set of unique characteristics, completely different from the other exams that school children undertake.
  • It is the most eagerly awaited exam; not since the papers are generally on the easier side but for what lies after the exams; 2 months of absolute "fun filled" holidays. I remember having my own countdown ( x days left for vaccation; x - 1 days left for vaccation...and so on).
  • The results are not declared until a month after the exams; unlike other unit tests/term papers where I used to get my answer sheet corrected within 10 days. Also the answer sheets of the annual exams are never shared in a parents-teachers meet thereby eliminating the chance for parents to conduct a detailed analysis of the mistakes done !
  • Incase I ended up with "less than expected" marks in either my unit tests/terms I could not get away by just saying 'I will study better and make up in the next exam' but over the next couple of weeks (solving 10 extra sums or writing answers to eliminate all possibilities of spelling mistakes) had to demonstrate that I was serious about it. In case of annual exams, I could use the same excuse and still continue to enjoy for a month and a half more as no one studied during vaccations !
  • I did not have to re-open the same books again; but dump it all in one place; ready to be disposed.
So the basic rule was => Here is your 2 months; just enjoy...play cricket, read story books, join the library nearby, learning painting..blah..blah...and recharge yourself. And this break did get me re-charged. The arrival of the monsoon in the first week of June was accompanied by buying new note-books and brown covers and plastic covers and labels. A day or two were spent getting covering all the books, buying a new school bag and uniforms (if needed). And come June 13th the batteries were re-charged for another accademic session!

I wonder why organizations can't follow a similar routine ? Give employees a months break. No official e-mails, no phone calls, no documentations, no meetings......Just like a school summer vaccation. And when they get back after a month give them a new profile/ a new role / a new project / a new assignment. I'm sure it would get them all re-charged.

No comments: