Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year

The clock had just struck 12 and the cell phone started beeping..Friends and well wishers sending New Year Wishes. After reading a few of them I found that there was a striking similarity in all of them. Each had the following of the following key words.

(i) Happy (ii)Prosperous (iii)Successful.

It just made me wonder as to how we as a society tend to associate prosperity and sucess directly with happiness. I guess it happens at a subconsious level. We define success as being directly proportional prosperity. The more money we earn, society percives us to be more successful and thinks we are the happiest people on earth. Its not surprising to find people saying " Look at him, he earns x crores per annum, drives swanky cars, is so successful. Must be really happy"

I somehow feel happiness is not a function of success and prosperity ! But maybe I belong to aminority.....

No comments: